RAR vs. Zip: Which Compression is Better for You
Since people have created compression formats, the data transfer and downloads haven't been so easy and quick. Often, we can spot RAR or Zip files in office or daily life. Some people use RAR compression, and some others may prefer to choose Zip compression. Actually, both of the two formats are archive formats for compression by reducing the original file size and encoding the file with fewer bits so as to help you save invaluable disk space. To us, these two formats have so many similarities that we can hardly distinguish from each other. However, everything in the world could have something in differ. Today, let's compare RAR with ZIP compression to see which compression is better for you.
- Zip was created in 1989, while the RAR format came up in 1993. Therefore, the biggest difference between RAR and Zip is that more programs are available to open and decompress Zip files because of his longer time around.
- Zip files can be created by different programs, including WinRAR, Freebyte Zip, and WinZip. it also can be created by using the "Archive" function on Macintosh operation system.
- If you have WinRAR program, you can create and open both RAR files and Zip files, but not vice versa.
- RAR program only has free trial version. If you need it, you have to purchase and register it. However, Zip programs are freely available or otherwise come with your operation system.
- Zip is a multi-platform archive format for compression on Windows XP, Mac OS X and some Linux versions with an already in built program to open the files; while RAR requires a third-party application to open and extract the files.
- Notably, the compression with RAR may achieve better quality than Zip compression. RAR compresses files upto 15% while Zip is 8%. However, RAR compressing is typically slower.
- File sizes that compressed by RAR are slightly smaller than from Zip, but the distinction is not enough to make any conspicuous compact when archiving files.
- RAR files have record and recovery functions, while Zip files haven't. If your precious file corrupted, the RAR files allows you to repair them.
- The good news of the RAR format is that the new version supports advanced encryption methods.
- More people trend to use RAR other than Zip. Many files downloaded are compressed by Zip compression (mainly torrents).
- Using RAR compression is somewhat difficult than using Zip compression. Anyway, 7 zip is a nice resolution for your easy use.
Both of the RAR and Zip compression are commonly used in daily. They are different compression formats and we can hardly to say one is better than the other. The choice is depend on you. Hither we've gotten software for WinRAR password removal - the WinRAR Password Remover. It is helpful for you to crack password of WinRAR/RAR or WinZip/ZIP files with extremely easy operation and nice performance.
You may be also interested in: